Tuesday 15 January 2013

Masters: Judd Trump v Barry Hawkins


World number two Judd Trump staged a superb comeback to defeat Barry Hawkins 6-5 in the first round of the Masters.
In an engrossing encounter, both players scored heavily after a cautious opening as Hawkins went 2-1 ahead.
Breaks of 99 and 73 put Trump in front but Hawkins won three in a row with knocks of 109, 85 and 61 to put himself on the verge of victory.
Trump responded with a break of 105 and also won the 10th, and he needed just one chance in the last to triumph.
He will face Scotland's Graeme Dott in the quarter-final after he beat countryman Stephen Maguire 6-5.
"Barry scored pretty heavily today and I don't know how I have turned it around. I kept breaking down and the nudges were not happening for me today but I am glad to get through," said a relieved Trump afterwards.
"The UK Championship was bad for me. Maybe I went in too confidently but whoever you play here at the Masters, it will be a tough game.
"I still don't see myself as the favourite. Every tournament I play in, I see John Higgins as the favourite. Some people get carried away and knock down what I have done, I am still young and still have a lot to learn."
Having gone out in the first round of the UK Championship to Mark Joyce last month, Trump looked to be heading the same way in this, but kept his composure to clinch the last three frames.
Hawkins has never reached a Masters quarter-final but had two opportunities to claim victory against Trump.
A poor shot on the blue enabled Trump to force a decider and Hawkins's break off in the final frame was to be his last shot, as Trump stroked in a magnificent 107 to go through.


No comments:

Post a Comment